This Lemon Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetables recipe is such a delicious and filling side dish that it can even stand in as a main dish if served over rice or couscous. The flavors of fresh lemon and rosemary perfectly complement the sweet flavor of the beets and the earthy taste of the potatoes and sweet potatoes. The mix of so many beautiful vivid colors make this a wonderful recipe for autumn and winter. Enjoy!
Lemon Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe
serves two as a main dish, four to six as a side dish
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 medium-sized red onion
- 1/3 large sweet onion
- 7 large cloves of garlic
- 4 medium-sized beets
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 1 whole lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper corns
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Serve over rice or couscous if it is the main dish, and have a side of greens.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Set out two small roasting pans or cast iron pans. Add two Tablespoons of olive oil to each pan.
2. Chop the onions into rounds and chop each clove of garlic into three or four chunks. Put half of the onions and garlic in one pan and half in the other.
3. Scrub the potatoes, beets, and sweet potato. Peel the sweet potato. Chop all into bite-sized chunks. Put the beet chunks into one pan and the sweet potato and potato chunks into the other pan.
4. Wash the lemon and then zest the entire surface of the peel. A zester usually costs only a few dollars at the grocery store, and will save you a huge amount of work. You can buy a Lemon Zester from Amazon. If you don’t have a zester, however, you can use the fine grating surface of a block grater, being sure to get all surfaces of the peel (this takes a while, but works).
5. Add half of the lemon zest to one pan and then half to the other. Squeeze the juice from the lemon, then splash each pan with two tablespoons of lemon juice.
6. Sprinkle salt (to taste) evenly over each pan, and then do the same with the pepper. Finely chop the rosemary and put one teaspoon of it into each pan.
7. Roast both pans in the oven on center rack until the root vegetables are cooked through (a fork should slide easily all the way through). Roasting will probably take at least a half an hour.
8. Once cooked, mix the contents of the two pans, add the feta cheese, and serve. If you are using this as a main dish, serve over couscous or rice. Enjoy!