This healthy baked lemon chicken recipe is what you are looking for if you are in the mood to easily bake a healthy lemon chicken with a sharp, savory flavor. This tender baked lemon chicken breast is full of amazing flavors and browned to your liking. It’s an easy, tangy baked chicken recipe that’s perfect for dinner. When you need a new and healthy way to serve boneless chicken breasts for your family dinners, why not try this recipe?
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves (4 halves)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) — if desired (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
- Chinese Lemon Sauce — (recipe follows)
- Chopped green onions and lemon slices
CHINESE LEMON SAUCE
- 1/3 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 clove garlic — finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
Cut breasts crosswise in half. Mix egg white and water in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn chicken to coat. Let stand 10 minutes. Heat oven to 450 F.
Spray nonstick cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Remove chicken from egg white mixture; discard mixture.
Mix flour, baking soda, and red pepper in a plastic bag. Add 1 chicken piece at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Place chicken on cookie sheet; spray with cooking spray for about 5 seconds or until the surface of the chicken appears moist.
Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Meanwhile, prepare Chinese Lemon Sauce. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; cut each piece crosswise into about 5 slices. Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with green onion and lemon slices.
CHINESE LEMON SAUCE:
Heat broth, sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, vinegar, corn syrup, garlic, and salt to boiling in a 1-quart saucepan, stirring occasionally. Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into sauce. Cook and stir for about 30 seconds or until thickened. Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.