This simple spinach quiche makes a filling and flavorful meal. When we have eggs to use up, quiche is one of our favorite solutions. We brought this quiche to a potluck and it was a hit.
This recipe is vegetarian.
Simple Spinach Quiche Recipe
- 16 ounces frozen, chopped spinach *
- unsweetened pie shell / crust (recipe here)
- 1/2 medium onion
- olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cream or half and half
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white cheese **
- enough white peppercorn cheese to cover
* I use frozen because it does not hold as much water and is easy to drain when defrosted. If you want to use fresh spinach, you’ll have to experiment with amounts and pre-frying and draining it.
** I used Bermuda onion cheese, but any mild white cheese will do.
1. Defrost the spinach.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Prepare your pie shell / pie crust. I prefer to use an earthenware pie pan. Prick it with a fork across the bottom to prevent it from bubbling up. Bake the shell on the lowest rack for 8 minutes.
3. Peel and dice the onion.
4. Grate the Bermuda onion cheese and the peppercorn white cheese.
5. When the pie crust is done, let it cool for a few minutes. Leave the oven on, for you will be using it shortly.
6. While the crust is baking, sautÃ© the onion in a small amount of olive oil over medium heat (medium-low if you have a gas range). When the onions have become translucent, remove from heat.
7. Beat the eggs and cream (or half-and-half) until evenly mixed. Add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to your tastes and mix well.
8. Drain any excess water from the spinach.
9. Assemble. Mix the onions and spinach with the Bermuda onion cheese, then spread them evenly into the shell. When everything is in the crust, pour your egg mixture over it all. If anything is left above the level of the liquid, try to smooth it all down so it is covered.
10. Cover the top with the white peppercorn cheese.
11. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) for 45 minutes to an hour (whenever the quiche is set, browned on top, and no longer jiggles).
12. Remove from oven. Let set for 10 minutes.
13. Slice it like a pie and serve with a side dish. Enjoy!
Quiche reheats very well, just be sure to store it covered in the refrigerator.